The earliest setters in the area were Spanish ranchers who raised sheep and cattle on the open rangelands surrounding Corona. In the 1850's a stage line was established from Las Vegas to White Oaks and Fort Stanton, transporting passengers, mail and supplies for the army from Ft. Union to Ft. Stanton. Amoung the stage stops were Pinos Wells and the Red Cloud Post office area of the Gallinas Mountains, it proved to be unprofitable because miners had to haul their ore by wagon to smelters in Soccoro and El Paso. With the establishment of rail lines through Corona, increased ore production became possible. At the peak of mining production, approximately 300 people were employed in the industry.
Corona was established as a railroad town in 1903 with the building of El Paso and South Western Railroad from Carrizozo to Santa Rosa where it connected to the Rock Island Line. This brought many homesteaders and farmers to the area and initiated the growth of Corona as a trade center, enabling farmers and ranchers to ship their products to market. In the 1950's, natural gas transmission lines were laid through the area, company housing was built, and some thirty families were employed. Recognized as one of the best in the state, the school has long been the focal point of the community. The School District encompasses parts of three counties and serves an area of 2061 square miles. The stage lines are now gone, the mines are closed; farming is minimal; the railroad depot has been moved; trains no longer stop here and natural gas lines have been automated. Corona is still the trade center for the area; school is still the heart of the community; and Corona is once again, ranching country.